Friday, December 7, 2018

Using Quotes within Quotes


Sometimes a student will want to include evidence that contains dialogue.  To do so they will need to substitute a single quote ( ' ), or an apostrophe, for the double quotes ( " ) within a text.

For example:

If the original text read:

The Big Bad Wolf huffed, and puffed, and blew the house down.

The citation might read:

"The Big Bad Wolf huffed, and puffed, and blew the house down," (15).


But if the original text had dialogue and read:

The Big Bad Wolf said, "I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house down!"

The citation might read:

"The Big Bad Wolf said, 'I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house down!'" (13).

Notice who you might actually have three quotes (a single and a double) in a row at the end of a quote with dialogue.




No comments:

Post a Comment